RECIPES WITH TOMATO PASTE – ITALIAN JOES ON TEXAS TOAST
|1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast||1 teaspoon salt|
|2 tablespoons sugar||2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups bread flour|
|3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)||FILLING:|
|1 large egg||1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend|
|1/4 cup tomato paste **||2 teaspoons dried basil|
|3 tablespoons olive oil||1/2 teaspoon garlic powder|
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. In a large bowl, beat egg, tomato paste, oil, salt, yeast mixture and 1 cup flour on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss filling ingredients. Punch down dough; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16×12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
- Place, cut side down, in a parchment paper-lined 10-in. cast-iron skillet. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove rolls to a wire rack.
Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled rolls in foil; place in an airtight container. To use, partially thaw overnight in refrigerator. Reheat rolls, wrapped in foil, in a preheated 300° oven until warm, about 25 minutes.
|7g fat (2g saturated fat)|